Tuesday, September 12, 2023

IraGo Triathlon: Chasing Gold Part II

 


Another week, another triathlon. That’s 3 middle distance races in 4 weeks.

 

308k of cycling, 62k of running, 6.2k of swimming, roughly the equivalent of 1.7 Ironman races. I must be tired… 😉 

Irago was the destination for my final triathlon of September. Tim and I did the race last year with stellar results, and we were hoping for some podium spots… but it was not to be. Blame it on dehydration and lack of recovery from those races in Sado and Hokkaido. It was hotter than last year needless to say. 

I was happy with the swim, probably a PB for over 2k distance. As soon as I started riding the bike, I knew it wasn’t going to happen. I had zero power and could feel my chest heaving as my heart rate raced above 170 bpm. I was dreading the run as I pulled into T2, but it was actually better than last week in Sado and 3 weeks ago in Hokkaido. Knowing that I don’t have any more races this month was comforting, so I tried to put the pedal to the metal on the run.

 

Swim:

Same feeling as the last 2 races, different day. Once again (hopefully for the last time), the swim was my best decent discipline of the day. The water was a “cool” 26 degrees C, 3 x 750 meter triangular loops. I was satisfied with 1:46 pace, 41 minutes for 2.25k. Watch said 2.6k which is 1:35 pace including zigzags. I used more freestyle this week and less breaststroke, probably 80% free style.

 

Bike:

I knew it wasn’t my day as soon as I saddled up. There was no natural burst of speed that you usually get after a swim. Even on the first of 5 x 14k laps I was feeling the hurt. Initial speed was 34 kph which dropped to 33 quickly, than 32, than 31 kph average speed by the end. My back ached after 2 laps. I was struggling to stay in aero position after 3 laps as I saw Tim going the other direction, about half a lap ahead. I thought he might lap me but he was about the same distance away on the next lap so I figured he was suffering as well. I was also getting dehydrated with only 1 bottle the whole ride. The other bottle fell off the back rack and I couldn’t be bothered to retrieve it. I rolled into T2 in 2:07 (31 kph) versus 1:56 (34 kph) last year.

 

Run:

I wondered if I would actually be able to run with any pace as I changed shoes. I was severely dehydrated so grabbed 3 cups of water right after the T2 gate, and headed up the first hill in the heat of the day. Unfortunately, the cloud cover was minimal after a 30% chance of rain had been forecasted. It wasn’t as hot as Sado last week but still sweltering around 30 degrees C. I attempted to run to the next aid station without stopping, but couldn’t get up the first hill without stopping. My chest was burning, and I than realized why I couldn’t run in Sado. My heartrate shot up to 170 bpm and I had only run a few hundred meters. I had to stop and gather myself for 20 seconds, run a bit, regather. This went on for the first 2k of the climb to the beach, running at a painfully slow 7-minute pace. It was demoralizing getting passed by runners that first few K. At the top of the hill I was able to run downhill reasonably, but had to climb another hill before the flat beach section. I faltered again, submitting to the urge to stop. After regathering for the 5th time, I finally was able to run from 5k on. Next splits were 5:46, 6:13, and I continued at roughly 6-minute pace which wasn’t bad considering the heat and fatigue. Much better than Sado or Hokkaido at least. At around 8k I got into a rhythm and my heart rate eased back to 140. I began to pass some runners and my confidence returned at 10-15k. I dug down deep for the final climb with 3k to go and used the last downhills increasing stride as much as possible.

 Total time was 5:02:18, 157th place out of 414 starters. AG 14th place out of 65 starters. Last year was 4:24:42 for 55th place, 1st in AG. I would have been 2nd in AG with that kind of time this year but motto was too hotto. Coulda woulda shoulda! 

Next stop: rest and relaxation in Shimoda for a few weeks, than Kawazu Triathlon OD end of October.

 

伊良湖トライアスロン  チェイシングゴールド

 

まとめ

 

今週もまたトライアスロンに出た。 4週間で中距離レースが3回ありました。 

サイクリング 合計308k、ランニング 62k、水泳 6.2k、これはアイアンマン レースの 1.7倍いにほぼ相当します。 今もまだ疲れが残っていますね。

 伊良湖は9月最後のトライアスロンでした。 ティムと私は昨年のレースで素晴らしい結果を出し、表彰台を期待していましたしかし、そうではありませんでした。 原因は脱水症状と佐渡や北海道でのレースからの回復不足だ。 昨年より暑かったこともマイナス要因でした。

 泳ぎには満足しており、おそらく2000メートルを超える距離では自己記録を達成できたでしょう。 自転車に乗り始めてすぐに、優勝できないと思いました。 パワーがゼロで、心拍数が 170 bpm を超えると胸が高鳴るのを感じました。 T2に入ったときの走りはヤバいかなと思ったが、先週の佐渡や3週間前の北海道よりも良かったです。 今月はもうレースがないとわかって安心したので、走りながら頑張るしかないと考えた。

 

水泳:

過去2大会と同じ感じでした。 もう一度言いますが(最後になればいいのですが)、水泳はその日私にとって一番良かった部分でした。 水温は「冷たい」26℃3×750メートルの三角ループでした。 1:46ペース、2.25k41分で満足でした。 時計で確認すると2.6k、ジグザグも含めて1:35ペースだ。 今週は自由形を多くし、平泳ぎを減らしました。おそらく 80% は自由形でした。

 

自転車:

サドルに乗るとすぐに、今日は気分が良くないことが分かりました。 通常、泳いだ後に得られる自然なスピードの爆発はありませんでした。

 

5×14kの最初の周回でも痛みを感じていました。 最初の速度は時速 34 キロでしたが、最後までに平均速度は時速 31 キロでしたが、32 キロからあっという間に 33 キロに下がりました。 2周すると腰が痛くなりました。 3周を終えた後、約半周先でティムが反対方向に走っているのが見えたので、私はエアロポジションを維持するのに苦労していました。 彼が私を追い抜くかもしれないと思ったが、次の周では彼も同じくらいの距離だったので、彼も苦しんでいるのかもしれないと思った。 また、乗車中ずっとボトル1本だけで脱水症状を起こしていました。 もう一本のボトルは後ろのラックから落ちてしまい、それを取り出す気にもなれませんでした。 昨年は1:56(時速34キロ)でしたが、今年は2:07(時速31キロ)でT2に入りました。

 

走る:

シューズを履き替えると本当にどんなペースでも走れるようになるのだろうかと思いました。 重度の脱水症状だったので、T2ゲートを出た直後に水を3杯取り、その日の暑い中最初の丘を登りました。 残念ながら、降水確率が30%と予報されていたため、雲量は少なかったです。 先週の佐渡ほどではありませんでしたが、それでも30度前後の蒸し暑さでした。止まらずに次のエイドステーションまで走ろうとしましたが、最初の坂も止まらずに登ることができませんでした。 胸が熱くなって、なぜ佐渡で走れないのかが分かりました。 心拍数は 170 bpm まで上昇しましたが、まだ数百メートルしか走っていません。 20秒間立ち止まって落ち着かせ、少し走って再び落ち着く必要がありました。 ビーチまでの登りの最初の2キロはこれが続き、7分という痛ましいほど遅いペースで走りました。 最初の数キロのランナーに追い抜かれて意気消沈しました。丘の頂上では下り坂をそこそこ走れましたが、平坦なビーチセクションの前に、別の丘を登らなければなりませんでした。 私は再びよろめき、立ち止まりたいという衝動に負けました。 5回目の集合でようやく5kから走れるようになりました。 次のスプリットは 5:46 6:13 で、暑さと疲労を考慮すると悪くないペースで約 6 分ペースで続けました。 少なくとも佐渡や北海道よりはずっといいです。 8km あたりでリズムが戻り、心拍数が 140 に戻りました。何人かのランナーを追い抜き始め、10 15k で自信が戻ってきました。 残り3キロの最後の登りに向けて深く下り、最後の下り坂は可能な限りストライドを大きくしていきました。

 

合計タイムは5時間218秒で、出走414名中157位だった。 AGはスターター65名中14位。 昨年は4時間2442秒でAG1位の55位だった。 今年もあのタイムだったらAG2位だっただろうけど、今年は去年より暑かった。ホットモットだったね。 そうだったに違いない!

 

次の大会は、数週間下田で休息とリラクゼーションしてから10月末の河津トライアスロンODです。

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice on Motto!