Sunday, May 26, 2024

Niijima Triathlon: Coming up for Air

 

Big Kudos to TnT Ken for toughing it out with a bum knee and the usual lack of training. Motozo was happy to survive the grueling run without too much damage (other than ego 😉). After my Shimoda boat was cancelled on Friday due to heavy wind and seas, I literally jetted into the start line via Oshima with minutes to spare.

新島トライアスロン大会レポート:

ひどい膝の痛みとトレーニング不足でしたが頑張って完走したTnT Ken君に大きな拍手お願いします。 元三は、(エゴ以外は 😉)大きなダメージを受けることなく、なんとなく完走できて幸せでした。 金曜日に下田のボートが強風と波が高かったため欠航になった後、私はジェット船で大島経由でギリギリでスタートラインにつけた。日本語版は下にあります。

 

Swim:

The triathlon gods blessed us with stormy conditions Friday than balmy bliss on race day Saturday. We got our protected harbor swim that had alluded us last year. The swim was once again my best leg of the day. The water temperature was quite comfortable for May at around 20 degrees C, and I had no problems navigating the mass start of about 100 middle aged men. I didn’t get into a nice groove, however, zigzagged too much, but managed 13 minutes for the first 750 meters, landed at 27 minutes after the 2nd lap. Official time was 28:03 after the brief run up the beach. Strava said 1706 meters!

 

Bike:

I felt in a daze as I mounted Hillary, body still a bit weary from the swim. Maybe I was still weary from the “jetlag” or wasn’t used to the quick transition on the first race of the year. It wasn’t windy like last year, but still I was crawling along at a fairly slow clip, 31-32 KPH. I felt oxygen deprived and was a bit surprised to see my heart rate at 160-170 BPM. I felt better after the 2nd lap although my back was aching. I rolled in at 1:17, 31.3 KPH average, slower than 31.7 KPH last year in windy conditions. Things that make you go hmmmmm…

 

Run:

I dismounted Hillary and thought, ‘hmmm I don’t feel like running 10k up and down hills in this heat, but c’mon Motozo, MAN UP!’ That said, I still felt like I was standing still as I attempted to run that first hill with rubber legs. The first aid station halfway up the hill was glorious. I recharged, drank, and doused myself. At the top of the hill at the 1K point I felt better and increased the pace. The lung pains were noticeable though so I couldn’t really hold a respectable pace, slowing to a shuffle on the 2nd hill at 3K point. At the turnaround at 4K aid station, I got rejuvenated again, accelerated down the hill, but again faltered, feeling the chest pains/lack of oxygen. On the downhill I was encouraged by Koshio Sensei heading up the hill, but could not locate Ken. At the 5K point the commotion of the finish line distracted my fatigue briefly, and I was better ready for the hill climb. However, my pace was even slower than the first climb. Rinsed, repeated, and rejuvenated at the aid station, I tried to ignore the achy feeling in my lungs. I repeated the mantra: one more climb, one more descent, 4k to go to the finish and than a nice beer and onsen awaits…soon after I crossed paths with Ken and sensei again. Feeding off their energy, I launched my final descent down the hill to the finish. What a beautiful view of the ocean, and on this final lap I actually savored it and let go a primal shout as I crossed the finish line.


Man that was painful and hard, but feels good to finish without injury at least.

Did I mention that I’m turning into a tortoise?

I break it down as follows:

2 years ago I made a decent comeback into triathlon after a 5-year hiatus, placing well in Suwako Tri and winning my AG in Irago in 2022. Shortly after that I contracted COVID and haven’t felt the same since. I raced and trained harder in 2023 but results were generally worse particularly in the bike and run. I got COVID again after the 2023 season and have been feeling chest pains and lack of oxygen on bikes and runs. Is it age, global warming, long COVID, a combination of all, or something else?

 

Final details:

total time 2:51:37, 61st out of 193 starters, 9th out of 28 in AG (55-59)

Swim 28:03  48th place

Bike 1:22:13  38th place

Run 1:01:21  108th place

 

The weather was hotter this year versus last year by a few degrees, and I suppose the swim took some toll on my bike and run. Last year the swim was cancelled so I was marginally fresher on the bike and run.

Next stop: IraGo! Nothing happening all spring/summer until Sept.8 on the beautiful peninsula town known as Irago. I’ll be racing the A-type middle distance again for the 3rd straight year. 2k swim, 70k bike, 18k run.

 

水泳:

トライアスロンの神様のおかげで、土曜日のレース日の穏やかさに比べ、金曜日は嵐のようなコンディションで私たちを祝福してくれました。 昨年私たちにほのめかしていたプロテクトハーバースイムを実現しました。 泳ぎはまたもやその日の私のベストレッグでした。 水温は20度前後と5月にしては快適で、100人ほどの中年男性の集団スタートも問題なく進みました。 ジグザグが多すぎて良い調子には乗れませんでしたが、最初の750メートルを13分で走り、2周目から27分で着地しました。 ビーチを少し駆け上がった後の公式タイムは2803秒でした。 Stravaでの距離 1706 メートルと書いてありました。

 

自転車:

ヒラリーに乗りながら私はまだ弱いと感じていましたが、体はまだ水泳で少し疲れていました。 おそらく私はまだ「ジェット船ぼけ」で疲れていたか、今年の最初のレースでの素早いトランジションに慣れていなかったのかもしれません。 去年ほど風は強くなかったが、それでも時速3132キロというかなりゆっくりとした速度で這いながら進んだ。 酸欠を感じ、心拍数が160170BPMになっていて少し驚きました。 2周目以降は腰が痛かったものの気分は良くなりました。 私のタイムは 1 時間 17分、平均時速 31.3 キロでした。これは、風の強い状況で昨年の時速 31.7 キロよりも遅かったです。 どうかなあと思った。。

 

走る:

私はヒラリーから降りて、「うーん、この暑い中、坂を上り下りして10キロを走る気分ではない。でも、さあ、元三、頑張れ!」と思いましたが、それでも走ろうとするとまだ立ち止まっているような気がしました。 ゴム足状態での最初の丘。 丘の中腹にある救護所は素晴らしかった。 私は充電し、飲み、そして水を浴びました。 1K地点の坂の頂上で気分が良くなり、ペースを上げた。 しかし、肺の痛みは顕著だったので、まともなペースを保つことができず、3K地点の2番目の丘でシャッフルするまで減速しました。 4K エイドステーションでの折り返しでは再び元気を取り戻し、坂を下るのに加速しましたが、胸の痛みと酸欠を感じて再びよろめきました。 下り坂では小塩先生に励まされて登っていきましたが、“件”は見つかりませんでした。不思議な“件”ですね😉 5K 地点では、ゴールラインのにぎやかさが私の疲労を一時的に忘れさせ、ヒルクライムの準備ができました。 しかし、私のペースは最初の登りよりもさらに遅かった。 エイドステーションで頭を水で洗い流し、それを繰り返し、元気を取り戻した私は、肺の痛みを無視しようとしました。 私は自分を何度も応援しました。最後の周、はい、ラストスパート、ゴールまで 4 キロ頑張って元三!そうすればおいしいビールと温泉が待っています…すぐに、ケン君と先生と再び道を横切りました。 彼らのエネルギーをもらいながら、私はゴールに向けて最後の下り坂を下りました。 なんと美しい海の景色だったので、最終ラップで私はその海に感動し、フィニッシュラインを越えたときにデカい鳴き声を出しました。

痛くて大変だったけど、せめて無事に完走して良かったです。

私は亀になったことをご存じでしょうか?

私はそれを次のように分析します。

2年前、5年間のブランクを経てトライアスロンに復帰し、諏訪湖トライで好成績を収め、2022年の伊良湖でのAGで優勝しました。その直後に新型コロナウイルスに感染し、それ以来同じような気分ではありません。 2023年はよりハードにレースとトレーニングを行ったが、特にバイクとランの結果は全体的に悪かった。 2023年シーズン後に再び新型コロナウイルスに感染し、バイクやランニング中に胸の痛みや酸素不足を感じています。 それは年齢、地球温暖化、長期にわたる新型コロナウイルス感染症、あるいはそれらすべての組み合わせによるものでしょうか、あるいは他の理由でしょうか?

 

最終的な詳細:

合計タイム 2:51:37、スターター 193 名中 61 位、AGでは28 名中  9 (55-59)

水泳 28:03  48

バイク 1:22:13  38

ラン 1:01:21  108

 

今年は昨年に比べて気温が数度高く、スイムのせいでバイクやランに多少の負担がかかったと思います。 去年はスイムが中止になったので、バイクとランで少しばかり新鮮でした。

次の目的地はイラゴー! 伊良湖として知られる美しい半島の町では、98日まで春から夏にかけて何のレースもない。 3年連続でA型中距離に参戦します。 スイム2キロ、バイク70キロ、ラン18キロ。  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blogging Motozo! Coming up for Air = George Orwell reference?

David 元三 Rubenstein said...

Thx. Yes, circa 1939, George Orwell's Coming Up for Air is an account of one man's attempt to recapture childhood innocence as war looms on the horizon. George Bowling, forty-five, mortgaged, married with children, is an insurance salesman with an expanding waistline, a new set of false teeth - and a desperate desire to escape his dreary life... highly recommended!